Stats of the Day:
- 6/11 – 6 times the No. 2 seed was upset this season when Kansas lost at home to No. 4 Missouri, 36-28, and the 11th time that an unranked team knocked off a top-5 team when No. 1 LSU was upset by Arkansas, 50-48 in 3OT. Just last week No. 2 Oregon lost to Arizona, and it was LSU’s second loss as the top-ranked team this season, the previous to Kentucky in 3OT. The Big 12 race was so tight, Kansas (11-1) goes from the only undefeated team in a major conference to not even winning their own conference after one game.
- 22 – Rushing touchdowns Florida quarterback Tim Tebow has this season, tying Chance Harridge of Air Force in 2002 for most by a quarterback. Tebow threw for 3 touchdowns and rushed for 2 more in the No. 12 Gators’ (9-3) season finale win over Florida St (7-5), 45-12. The sophomore has a bowl game to break the record and looks to become the first underclassman to win the Heisman.
- 126 – Passing touchdowns Hawaii quarterback Colt Brennan has in his 3-year career, breaking the record for career TD passes set by BYU’s Ty Detmer in 1991, who had 121. Brennan threw for 495 yards and 5 TDs in No. 15 Hawaii’s 39-27 victory over No. 19 Boise State (10-2) to make the Warriors the only undefeated team in the nation. Next up for No. 12 Hawaii (11-0): Washington (4-8) for a Sugar Bowl bid against the SEC champion.
Upset of the Day: #1 LSU (10-2) 48 – 50 Arkansas (8-4)
Heisman hopeful Darren McFadden sure knows how to play in a big game. The junior back ran for 206 yards and 3 TDs and passed for one more as the frequent QB for the Razorbacks. Against four ranked teams this year, McFadden has rushed for 539 yards and 4 TDs for averages of 135 yards per game and 5.4 yards per carry.
Next up for No. 7 LSU: SEC Championship against No. 14 Tennessee for a Sugar Bowl bid.
Scare of the Day: #18 Tennessee (9-3) 52 – 50 Kentucky (7-5)
With the fate of an SEC title shot in their own hands, the Vols went to 4OTs to beat Kentucky after a failed 2-point conversion. Because of the ridiculous rule that records statistics in overtime, the two quarterbacks combined for 15 TDs and 5 INTs while ten different receivers caught at least one touchdown pass. In overtime, there was an interception, a blocked field goal and just one of four 2-point conversions successful, the only proving to be the game-winner. Next up for No. 14 Tennessee: SEC Championship against No. 7 LSU for a Sugar Bowl bid.
Surprise of the Day: #3 West Virginia 66 – 21 #20 Connecticut (9-3)
Tebow and McFadden had high-level performances to make their case in the Heisman race. Pat White didn’t disappoint. The junior QB put on a scoring clinic, passing for a touchdown and rushing for a season-high 186 yards and two scores, as the Mountaineers had 517 yards of rushing.
Top Five in the BCS Standings: (Final week of the regular season.)
- Missouri (11-1, 7-1 Big 12) – Sat. @ 5p PT Big 12 Championship vs. #9 Oklahoma (10-2).
- West Virginia (10-1, 5-1 Big East) – Sat. vs. Pittsburgh (4-7).
- Ohio State (11-1, 7-1 Big Ten) – Regular season done.
- Georgia (10-2, 6-2 SEC) – Regular season done.
- Kansas (11-1, 7-1 Big 12) – Regular season done.